Here's the monthly update for our Speech & Debate Community!
- If you plan to affiliate with Eastern Missouri NSDA this year, please complete that process. This helps us plan for the district tournament. I HIGHLY recommend this as the resource list is ever-growing, your students earn Honor Society points good for college applications and scholarships, not to mention the ability to compete at NSDA Districts!
- If you have not done so, please pay your GSL Dues - they were due October 1st.
- Randy will probably be in touch soon about NCFL opportunities!
- The MSHSAA rules review is live. You should have all received an email from Mike Hachmeister about this process. Questions? Contact your AD or Mike!
In order to provide some helpful advice to new coaches, veteran coaches submitted a bunch of things they wish they had known during their first year. I've compiled all of these into one document, which you can find HERE!
GOOD TO KNOW:
- I have updated the Distribution List -- a few more coaches filled out the form; others I added directly because their schools had affiliated with the NSDA. You can find the update distribution list HERE.
- Have you checked out the Boston Debate League's "Evidence-Based Argumentation" lesson plans? They can be found HERE and are a great resource for teachers and students!
- In August of 2017, the NSDA is hosting it's first ever EDUCATIONAL CONFERENCE for the Speech & Debate Coaching Profession. The conference will be held in Denver, Colorado and is meant to act for Speech & Debate the same way NCTE acts for English Teachers, NCSS acts for Social Studies Teachers, etc. NSDA is looking for both participants and presenters. For more details, visit https://www.speechanddebate.org/conferences/. Also, if something needs to be done to help convince your school to pay for this, please let me know - help is available!
- The NSDA's new website does have the current list of "approved online publishers" for sources (primarily interp, but news as well). It can be found here: https://www.speechanddebate.org/rules-forms-manuals/ at the VERY bottom of the page. You're also able to get some basic Oral Interp rules answered there and submit websites for an approval process - which is now a monthly review process instead of annual.
- The NSDA Board has approved Program of Oral Interp and Informative Speaking to be main events offered at both the NSDA District and NSDA National Tournaments! Additionally, they have confirmed that all districts will be permitted to submit two teams for World Schools Debate each year.
- A fundraising opportunity sponsored by the NSDA is the Figures of Speech documentary (formerly known as This is Not a Club, for those that remember the hype two or three years ago). I'm not sure of the workability of such a fundraiser, but if you're interested you can read more about it HERE.
- The NSDA also received the largest grant it has ever been offered - and that money can flow into a district. The Big Questions Debate series could be something that we're interested in trying. That being said, with our schedule already being very packed this year, the Eastern Missouri NSDA Committee decided that we'd float the idea to gauge interest before moving forward with anything. You can read more about this program HERE.
Tournament Invitations can always be found on the Eastern Missouri NSDA website HERE. GSL maintains a separate website HERE with information focused on the conference.
- Parkway West Invitational - October 14th and 15th
- SLUDL Tournament #1 - October 15th
- GSL #1 @ Liberty HS - October 21st & 22nd
- Francis Howell North Speech Tournament - November 4th
- Francis Howell Central Debate Tournament - November 5th
WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING:
- Our four local ad hoc committees - World Schools Debate Selection Process, Middle School Development, Program Recruitment and Retention, and Financial Assistance - have all begun their work and are making progress!
- I'm developing a revised (and more user friendly) point recording guide for coaches new to the NSDA. I'll be using my students as gueina pigs this month, as the student registration process has changed slightly. If you're unsure of what to do, I advise holding on to your competitive records for the months of September and October -- I'll have helpful documents and videos for you all in the November Update!
- Schools affiliated with the NSDA by October 19th will have the option to nominate coaches to serve as "Alternates" during the 2017 NSDA District Tournament series. A separate email will be sent to NSDA member schools on October 19th.
As always, email with questions and any suggestions to make everything easier for everyone!