For the first part of the year, I'll be sending "newsletters" roughly every month or so with to do items, things for you to know, and items coming up on the horizon. Around December my focus will shift primarily towards schools affiliated with Eastern Missouri NSDA, but for now I'm targeting the entire community.
- Update contacts. The new distribution list is HERE and you can copy and paste the email address into your email for distribution of tournament invites. School email address are mostly public information anyway, but if for some reason you need yours removed let me know. I'll update it as more schools fill out the form.
- Pay GSL Dues if your school is affiliating with GSL. Highly encouraged for schools in the St. Louis Metro Area! Molly Beck (email@example.com) is your go to on all questions GSL and I know she'll be sending some stuff out soon!
- Start/Renew your membership with NSDA if you plan to affiliate there. Highly encouraged for every school as those honor society memberships translate to greater entry numbers for NSDA Districts, scholarships for your students, college resumes, etc. Plus, have you SEEN the new resource list? They've done a much better job on this website! Your's Truly (firstname.lastname@example.org) is your go to on all questions NSDA.
- Consider NCFL - Randy Pierce (email@example.com) will be sending more information soon!
- Consider STAM - it's the only Professional Development Conference for our profession in the state. Check out http://speechandtheatremo.org/ for details!
(All of this comes from questions asked in the past two weeks)
- Some tournaments in our area will use the "NFHS Case Areas" forNovice Policy Debate. These case areas can be found HERE.
- NSDA offers a Novice Lincoln-Douglas Debate topic for use during September and October. DO NOT USE IT! A MSHSAA rule specifies that ALL tournaments will use ONLY the standard LD topic (this one relates to nuclear power).
- New coaches (and maybe some veteran coaches) may appreciate the NSDA's New Coach Quick Start Guide available HERE.
- As I mentioned at the Coaches' Meeting - the NSDA is really starting to looking into how we treat ourselves as professionals in a highly specialized and super important field. Scott Jensen and Peggy Dersch published a brief article in the STAM Journal in 2007 that had some advice for balancing the demanding hours of coaching with, ya know, the rest of normal life. I've attached it below.
- I put together a document that is meant to explain the different organizations surrounding Speech & Debate in our area. It's also attached!
- GSL PreSeason Tournament - September 17th, 2016 at Mehlville High School (details coming soon from Molly!)
SLUDL Workshop - September 17th, 2016
- Speech & Theatre Association of Missouri's Annual Conference - Sept. 22 - 24 at Tan-Tar-A
- Oakville Autumn Congress - October 1st, 2016 at Oavkille High School (invitation released today and attached)
- Parkway West Invitational - October 14th - 15th at Parkway West High School
SLUDL Tournament #1 - September 17th, 2016
- Policy, 2016-2017 - Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its economic and/or diplomatic engagement with the People's Republic of China.
- Lincoln-Douglas, Sept/Oct 2016 - Resolved: Countries ought to prohibit the production of nuclear power.
- Public Forum, Oct. 2016 - Resolved: In United States public K-12 schools, the probable cause standard ought to apply to searches of students.