Another week, another update regarding the NSDA Speech & Debate District Tournament! If any coach wants to go back and look at previous NSDA District Tournament Newsletters, please visit the website HERE.
This weeks foci: JUDGES, DEBATE RULES, AND REMINDERS
Quick disclaimer: All email from me pertains ONLY to the NSDA District Tournament. For questions regarding MSHSAA Districts, please contact your local MSHSAA DistrictManager. Multiple MSHSAA Regions fall within the geographic boundaries of our NSDA District.
PLEA FOR JUDGES:
As a reminder, the NSDA Speech & Debate Tournament can't happen without judges and right now most schools haven't filled up their quotas. Time is starting to run out! Some things to know:
- You can find the number of judges each school is required to bring HERE.
- Please register all of your judges using THIS FORM.
- A judging clinic will be held TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21ST AT 6:00 P.M. IN THE CLAYTON HIGH SCHOOL LIBRARY!
- An online judging clinic can be found HERE.
- You can see how close your school is to fulfilling your requirement HERE.
Questions about judges should be sent to Cara Borgsmiller and Molly Beck via firstname.lastname@example.org.
RULE HIGHLIGHT FOR DEBATE EVENTS:
Nothing really new in the world of debate rules, so just some friendly reminders:
- Make sure your debaters understand the evidence rules for LD, CX, and PF. These can be found in Section 2 of the Unified Manual. The main points are original sources must be available, the sharing of evidence is mandatory upon request, and that specific types of evidence violations are defined. I would strongly suggest reading over it.
- The District Committee STRONGLY DISCOURAGES the use of the "Stop-Round Protest" by the kids. It's not because we don't want to deal with it - in fact, those are a LOT easier to deal with than post-round protests - it's because if a competitor uses it, they completely bypass their own coach. Remember that we're teachers of teenagers -- no matter how mature they seem day to day, when the pressure is on they may make a big deal out of something that's actually a really small deal. In my experience, the thing I do most at Districts as a head coach is "frame" things for the kids so that they maintain a healthy perspective.
- With that same idea in mind, remember that DISCLOSURE OF RESULTS IS FORBIDDEN. Every year a coach thinks that they have a kid who can 'handle disclosure because they've always had it' and then every year, once that coach has left the kid, the kid immediately starts going up to other students with "I'm undefeated!" or "I beat you!" or other forms of immature psychological warfare. This behavior is a violation of the NSDA Code of Honor and is handled at the National, not District, level. You don't want any of that. PROTECT YOUR TEAM. PROTECT YOURSELF. DON'T DISCLOSE!
- PLEASE FINALIZE YOUR ENTRY IN JOY OF TOURNAMENTS ASAP! Online registration CLOSES MARCH 2ND! (Huge thank you to all the schools that got their initial entry in by February 3rd... this helps tremendously!)
- The current entry numbers are HERE. We are now looking for FILL ENTRIES in Public Forum Debate (3 more entries gets us to 4 qualifiers) and International Extemp (4 more entries gets us to 3 qualifiers). If you can offer up a fill in either of those, let me know!
- Award Nomination forms are available HERE. These include Student of the Year, Principal of the Year, Communicator of the Year, Volunteer of the Year, Alumni Achievement Award, and the Ross Scholarship Application. All applications/nominations are due MARCH 1ST, 2017!
UPCOMING DUE DATES:
- February 17, 2017 --TODAY!!!! FIRM DEADLINE for Congress Entries. I've already emailed all the congress schools with instructions on how to turn in Green Sheets.
- March 2, 2017 -- FIRM DEADLINE for Speech & Debate Entries. Speech & Debate Green Sheets as well as Single Entry Letters of Intent are due to Justin on this day. I will send the turn-in instructions to all entered schools on February 27th.
- Joy of Tournaments Congress Registration: http://www.joyoftournaments.com/nfl/easternmo-cd/info.asp
- Joy of Tournaments Speech & Debate Registration: http://www.joyoftournaments.com/nfl/easternmissouri/info.asp
- Collection of ALL Eastern Missouri Forms, Manuals, Rules, Guidelines: http://eastmonfl.weebly.com/information-for-coaches1.html
- ALL THINGS RELATING TO JUDGES: http://eastmonfl.weebly.com/judging-obligations-and-requirements.html
Email with questions!