I've updated this list to include all schools that have affiliated with Eastern Missouri NSDA since January 11th. If any coach wants to go back and look at preview NSDA District Tournament Newsletters, please visit the website HERE.
Since we weren't able to have an on-ground rules review this year, I wanted to highlight major rules for each event at the NSDA District Tournament. Rather than shove it all in one super-massively long email, I'll break them up week-by-week.
This week I wanted to focus on Oral Interpretation Events, just because I wanted to give every coach a chance to plan for the "original source rule." I know over the years I've blown a lot of money on rush shipping from Amazon... so hopefully by putting this out early enough you all will have a chance to plan ahead and use free stuff (like a public library).
The bottom of this email contains some reminders and links to resources.
Quick disclaimer: All email from me pertains ONLY to the NSDA District Tournament. For questions regarding MSHSAA Districts, please contact your local MSHSAA District Manager. Multiple MSHSAA Regions fall within the geographic boundaries of our NSDA District.
RULE HIGHLIGHT FOR ORAL INTERPRETATION EVENTS:
The rules for documenting Oral Interpretation Events have changed slightly. I wanted to send this out NOW so that you're not pressed to produce these documents in the week of NSDA Districts! Trust me... I've personally made that mistake in the past... rush shipping on Amazon gets expensive!
In order to be eligible to advance to Nationals, all Oral Interpretation entries at NSDA Districts need to:
- Have a CHECKLIST signed and submitted to the District Chair. This is a new documentation requirement from the NSDA.
- Have a clean MANUSCRIPT of the word-for-word delivery typed up by the student(s). This should match the performance almost exactly - it is not acceptable for students to "ad lib" their performances. This is a new documentation requirement from the NSDA.
- Have a MARKED CUTTING (typically a photocopy of the original source) that has students highlighting the lines that they say, marking in ink the word changes - in the rare case that they're allowed - and placing the pages in the order of the performance (which may or may not differ from the order of the original source)
- Have the ORIGINAL SOURCE present at the District Tournament. For most this would be the physical book. It could also be the eBook PDF (so long as it's officially published) printed off. It could also be the printed script and the link-story from one of the APPROVED PUBLISHERS.
- If you have a student in POI... you also need to provide a BIBLIOGRAPHY of their sources. This is NOT necessary for HI, DI, and DUO entries.
ALL OF THIS should be submitted to the District Chair during on-site registration at the NSDA District Tournament. We'll have plastic tubs for each school so that it's easier to get books, cuttings, and manuscripts back to the right school faster. A student will NOT be able to advance to Finals without this documentation being on file -- this is similar to a Nationals policy. We make this our policy so that we don't require coaches to gather all of this for fill entries. :)
Oral Interpretation and Joy of Tournaments
- For HI, DI, and DUO... you will need to enter Title, Author, and ISBN (if applicable) information directly into Joy of Tournaments during online registration.
- For POI, you cannot enter this information because Joy of Tournaments isn't configured or designed to handle multiple interp sources. Instead, please submit a bibliography during on-site registration.
Two last things about Oral Interp...
- Rule explanations, the list of approved online publishers, and other information can be found HERE.
- If you want to see an online publisher approved, there is one last review deadline of February 15th. The theory is that we'll have a confirmed approval or denial by March 1st. That cuts is really close, but it's an option. Email me if this speaks to you.
OTHER NSDA DISTRICT TOURNAMENT ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- The District Topics for LD and PF have been released. You can see them HERE.
- A reminder that NSDA has officially completed it's move to Des Moines, Iowa. Please make sure your bookkeepers are up to date. The Ripon office will no longer be the place to process payments. NSDA sent the update yesterday; see me if you need the address.
- Award Nomination forms are available HERE. These include Student of the Year, Principal of the Year, Communicator of the Year, Volunteer of the Year, Alumni Achievement Award, and the Ross Scholarship Application. All applications/nominations are due MARCH 1ST, 2017!
UPCOMING DUE DATES:
- February 3, 2017 -- Soft Deadline for all entries (Congress & S/D) in Joy of Tournaments. This isn't vital, but it will help the District Committee anticipate the size of the tournament. Please put in as much of your entry as possible by this date. We thank you!
- February 17, 2017 -- FIRM DEADLINE for Congress Entries. Greensheets are due to Jocelyn on this day. I'll be emailing the Congress schools late next week about how to handle this process.
- Joy of Tournaments Congress Registration: http://www.joyoftournaments.com/nfl/easternmo-cd/info.asp
- Joy of Tournaments Speech & Debate Registration: http://www.joyoftournaments.com/nfl/easternmissouri/info.asp
- Collection of ALL Eastern Missouri Forms, Manuals, Rules, Guidelines: http://eastmonfl.weebly.com/information-for-coaches1.html
- ALL THINGS RELATING TO JUDGES: http://eastmonfl.weebly.com/judging-obligations-and-requirements.html
Email with questions!