Our weekly updates continue -- we're just one month away from the start of the NSDA Speech & Debate District Tournament! If any coach wants to go back and look at previous NSDA District Tournament Newsletters, please visit the website HERE.
This week I'm highlighting big rules for Public Speaking events and some very important "To Do" items. The bottom of this email contains some reminders and links to resources.
Quick disclaimer: All email from me pertains ONLY to the NSDA District Tournament. For questions regarding MSHSAA Districts, please contact your local MSHSAA DistrictManager. Multiple MSHSAA Regions fall within the geographic boundaries of our NSDADistrict.
RULE HIGHLIGHT FOR PUBLIC SPEAKING EVENTS:
This is divided into two subsections:
ORIGINAL ORATORY / INFORMATIVE SPEAKING:
- In order to be eligible to advance to Finals... a coach needs to turn in the following for each entry into Oratory and Informative Speaking:
- And ORATORY SUBMISSION FORM or an INFORMATIVE SUBMISSION FORM.
- The complete, word-for-word manuscript of the speech.
- A bibliography for all sources. Special note for Informative Speaking: If the student uses images on their visual aids, those images must be cited in the bibliography, but do NOT need to be orally attributed in the speech.
- A reminder that the NSDA District will not provide any easels for use during the district tournament -- Informative Speakers must provide their own and manage their own set up and strike.
- A reminder that Informative Speakers may not use any electronic devices as visual aids (this includes anything battery operated -- at Nationals this past year, a student had lights on their visual aid that they could switch on and off as a form of pointer. Creative, but not permitted)
- Students will be permitted to compete in the tournament without these things being on file, but will be automatically disqualified if protested and cannot advance to finals without these materials being submitted by the coach. This allows schools to still place "fill entries" in these events without having to go through a lot of tedious paperwork.
INTERNATIONAL EXTEMP AND US EXTEMP:
- Students may not bring any un-published material into the draw room. This would include, but is not limited to:
- Outlines of previous speeches
- Article summaries (published abstracts are okay)
- Evidence briefs
- Notes to self
- Students may not plug in their computers during draw. All laptops have to run on battery power during draw. We do allow for students to charge their devices when draw is not occurring.
- Students are RECOMMENDED NOT TO USE CELL PHONES AS TIMERS... this way there is no question about if they're texting or not.
- Everything brought into the draw room is subject to search. The NSDA District Committee and the Extemp Draw Supervisors have protocols to protect student privacy, but I always just tell my students "If you don't want it seen, don't bring it into the draw room."
- We know that it's unreasonable to ask students who are entered in Extemp and Debate to have two different laptops, but technically ANYTHING on the hard drive of a computer that isn't published is a violation of the rules. So... yeah, debate briefs and a student's homework would violate the publishing rule. I explain in the rules review some ways around this... in short:
- Students can "partition" the hard drive into a separate user account (Example: "Justin EXTEMP") and then have NOTHING on that user name's account other than extemp files.
- Students could use a series of flash drives to store their debate files. Load the briefs onto the laptop before each debate round, then delete them before each extemp round.
- If a student brings a computer into the draw room, it can be searched!
IMPORTANT TO DO ITEMS:
- Double check with your school's budget that they have the right address on file for Eastern Missouri NSDA. The information should be
Randy Pierce, East MO NFL treasurer
Francis Howell North High School
2549 Hackmann Road
St. Charles, MO 63303
- I will be emailing all schools entered into CONGRESS on Monday. Joy of Tournaments for Congress will close on February 16th -- if you haven't entered and plan to do so, do it now! CONSIDER THIS THE LAST CALL FOR CONGRESS ENTRIES!
Good news, if we don't have ANY drops in the House, we'll qualify a total of 6 students to Nationals in Congress! NO ONE DROP, PLEASE!! (As of February 16th, 100% of communication about Congressional Debate will only be sent to schools actually participating in Congressional Debate)
OTHER NSDA DISTRICT TOURNAMENT ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Award Nomination forms are available HERE. These include Student of the Year, Principal of the Year, Communicator of the Year, Volunteer of the Year, Alumni Achievement Award, and the Ross Scholarship Application. All applications/nominations are due MARCH 1ST, 2017!
- I will have information about World Schools Debate out shortly -- the ad hoc committee has worked incredibly hard, now they're just waiting on me to finalize all the documents. I'll ask them to approve them, and then I'll send them out to all of you. (My goal was to get that done by last Tuesday... non-debate life sort of happened this week... sorry!)
- You can see the Current Entry Spreadsheet HERE. Right now, this is the smallest District Tournament that I can remember. BUT the numbers are right about where they were this time last year. A few schools still haven't registered... please do so ASAP! Quite a few coaches (including myself) have some fill entries on standby and we want to know where we can put them to boost the number of qualifiers!
UPCOMING DUE DATES:
- February 17, 2017 -- FIRM DEADLINE for Congress Entries. Greensheets are due to Jocelyn on this day. Entry confirmations will be sent on MONDAY, FEBRUARY 12TH! This will include instructions on how to turn in the paperwork.
- March 2, 2017 -- FIRM DEADLINE for Speech & Debate Entries. - Speech & Debate Green Sheets as well as Single Entry Letters of Intent are due to Justin on this day. Again, turn-in instructions to come!
- Joy of Tournaments Congress Registration: http://www.joyoftournaments.com/nfl/easternmo-cd/info.asp
- Joy of Tournaments Speech & Debate Registration: http://www.joyoftournaments.com/nfl/easternmissouri/info.asp
- Collection of ALL Eastern Missouri Forms, Manuals, Rules, Guidelines: http://eastmonfl.weebly.com/information-for-coaches1.html
- ALL THINGS RELATING TO JUDGES: http://eastmonfl.weebly.com/judging-obligations-and-requirements.html
Email with questions!