Registration for NSDA Districts has officially opened! Please read carefully:
- CONGRESS REGISTRATION can be found at this site: http://www.joyoftournaments.com/nfl/easternmo-cd/info.asp
Before registering, please take the time to read through the pages on Joy carefully!
- SPEECH & DEBATE REGISTRATION can be found at this site: http://www.joyoftournaments.com/nfl/easternmissouri/info.asp
This site is much more comprehensive in detail (because the Speech & Debate segment) is much more complex than Congress. Please take time to sift through it. Peggy used to say "Grab a cup of coffee and a snack and give it a solid amount of time to read it..." Please don't just skim!
- Joy will link you to everything you need, but I've also placed a ton of information up on the Eastern Missouri website HERE if that's easier for you to locate things between now and the end of the Districts "Season."
- Please make sure that you pay attention to the JUDGING OBLIGATIONS document for NSDA - you'll want to start recruiting judges ASAP!
- A review of the rules is HERE -- I'll also be sending a weekly "Rules Highlight" over the next few weeks highlighting the different sections of the tournament - Congress, Oral Interp, Debate, and Public Speaking. Now is the time to ask questions and seek clarification -- waiting until the week prior to the district tournament will likely cause panic!
I'm doing something a little new this year to try and avoid the annual "is this a heart attack I'm feeling" experience that I have. Basically I'm referring to things as a "soft deadline" and "hard deadline."
- By the soft deadlines, please have the students you KNOW are competing in each event. I call these my "competitive entries" -- kids who are either seeking advancement, are varsity members seeing how well they're going to do, etc. These would not be "students I'll throw in as fills."
- By getting them into Joy by the Soft Deadline, you would actually make life a lot easier for a ton of people. Examples:
- I can see how close we are to reaching the next threshold for advancing another entry to Nationals - which helps me ask for fills more effectively
- I can see double-entries - which require some extra paperwork on my end.
- Cara can get a good glimpse into how many judges we're going to need -- and YOU get a good glimpse into what your judging obligation will look like
- Jennifer can get a mostly-accurate room estimate from me
- It makes last minute things less last-minute... waiting for that one student to get enough NFL points? No problem. Need to track down Interp titles or ISBN numbers? We've got time. Are we two PF entries away from a 4th qualifier? We've got time to find them!
- The soft deadline for both Congress and Speech/Debate will be FEBRUARY 3RD. I chose this date intentionally:
- It's roughly the same time the MSHSAA District entries are due, so you can just knock it all out in one hit!
- Since this is new, I wanted to build in lots of time for me to follow up with schools. If that's too soon, no problem... but I at least wanted to try it. If I'm honest, I'm just trying to spread out my workload a little bit so I don't have as many late nights before the District Tournament! Plus, as I learned last year, by having some extra time to fix problems we as a District Committee are actually better equipped for when unexpected life-events occur!
- After the soft deadlines have passed, I'll start asking for schools to volunteer "fills" in the different events so we can bump up the number of qualifiers.
- No paperwork is due on the Soft Deadlines at all - no need to stress!
- Hard deadlines are imposed by NSDA, not the District Committee. This is when the official "green sheets" produced by Joy of Tournaments are due!
- The hard deadline for Congress is Friday, February 17th.
- The hard deadline for Speech & Debate is Thursday, March 2nd. Note that Single Entry Letters of Intent are due this day, too.
Please email me with questions -- the earlier you ask, the better it is for everyone!