Happy New Year! I hope everyone has been able to enjoy the break!
We're now entering the wonderful time of year when we get ready for NSDA Districts. The District Committee had a "working break" where we got as much of the District Tournament "ready to go" to try and ease the stress that always comes this time of year. While there's still a lot to be done, you'll notice that the NSDA Districts tab on http://eastmonfl.weebly.com now has a bunch of information that wasn't there two weeks ago!
I've divided this email into three parts: New and Important Updates, New Tidbits, and Repeated Information.
#1 - Pilot Evidence Rules
After evaluating the feedback and giving the issue very careful consideration, the Eastern Missouri NSDA has decided to implement NSDA's Pilot Evidence Rules in Policy Debate, Public Forum Debate, and Lincoln-Douglas Debate. Our reasoning was that, given the protests we've had in past years, these rules provide a better sense of direction for how to adjudicate specific protests. Please note that this ONLY applies to the Eastern Missouri NSDA District Tournament; not regular invitationals, GSLs, or the MSHSAA District Tournament.
I've attached the NSDA Flyer that contains the rules. Please read them if you plan to enter students into LD, PUF, or Policy at the Eastern Missouri District Tournament. You will certainly have lots of questions. Please ask! I will gladly ask them during the NSDA's "Pilot Evidence Rules Q & A Webinar" which is January 8th at 6:30 p.m. If you would like to participate directly in the webinar - PLEASE DO -- the link is here: http://www.speechanddebate.org/aspx/my/webinars.aspx?id=235 (You'll need to log in to your dashboard to view that page... I think).
Evaluating these rules EARLY is the way to go - the District Tournament itself is a bit too risky to work on interpreting the rules for the first time.
#2 - "Tournament Preview / Rules Review Meetings"
Starting this year, the Eastern Missouri NSDA Committee is presenting a "Tournament Preview & Rules Review" meeting for ALL EAST MO NSDA COACHES. This meeting is designed to help highlight major rules (including the Pilot Evidence Rules) that students and coaches are held to during the Eastern Missouri NSDA District Tournament. We would like EVERY coach to participate.
We'll provide multiple options for attending this meeting:
- The first meeting will be at the Parkway North Novice Debate Round Robin on Saturday, January 10th. This will be held during ROUND 2 of debate at 9:30 a.m. The specific classroom that we'll use will be announced at the tournament.
- An interactive online meeting using Google Hangouts (because it's free) at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, January 12th. Please email me if you'd like to attend this.
- (Tentative) Meeting at GSL Conference #3
- An interactive online meeting using Google Hangouts at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, January 21st. Please email me if you'd like to attend this.
We'll also record it at some point in the very near future so that coaches can simply watch the video (it just won't be interactive).
#3 - World Schools Debate
MSHSAA has ruled that Missouri may NOT field "hybrid" teams for entry in the World Schools' Debate competition. If curious as to why they ruled this way, feel free to ask! In any case, all 3 - 5 students that will compose the Eastern Missouri WSD team MUST be from the same school. So... we're working on an "application process" (once we finish it, we have to have it approved by NSDA) that's similar to the bid system used in NCFL. The application deadline will be AFTER the completion of the NSDA District Tournament,in case your number of qualifiers affects your decision on whether or not to take students to nationals through this avenue.
- The Speech & Debate Tournament schedule has been finalized and it available ateastmonfl.weebly.com. I know many of you need the finalized schedule for Congress SOON so that you can reserve busses -- it's ALMOST complete, but with the new location we're looking at expanding the lunch break since it'll be new for everyone AND trying to not make the end of the day so "rushed" to get legislation voted on AND ensure that we have sufficient time for debate. Available soon!
- We will be using Joy of Tournaments for registration again this year. I will submit the two websites for approval on Monday and registration should open by the end of the week.
- For new coaches -- I've added videos under "Resources" on eastmonfl.weebly.com for Point Entry, Student Registration, Explaining "Strength", and registering entries through Joy of Tournaments for both the Speech & Debate tournament and the Congress tournament.
- Look for a separate email soon regarding judges - I know some of you start to "skim" my emails and that's too important to tag on to the bottom of one of these.
- Application materials for Student of the Year and the Ross Scholarship are available here: http://eastmonfl.weebly.com/east-mo-district-student-awards.html Both applications are due by February 24th, 2015.
- All schools are invited to submit TWO pieces of legislation for debate at East MO Congress Districts. Preferably one bill and one resolution. Details can be found at http://eastmonfl.weebly.com/nsda-congressional-debate-districts.html DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, JANUARY 16TH, 2015!
- East MO NSDA Congress will be held Saturday, February 21st at Webster University (the Webster Groves campus) in the East Academic Building. A schedule and parking guide will be available SOON.
- East MO NSDA Speech & Debate will be held March 5th - 7th, 2015. The two preliminary rounds of debate will be held at CLAYTON HIGH SCHOOL the evening of March 5th. All other rounds will be held all day Friday and Saturday AT PATTONVILLE HIGH SCHOOL. Schedule attached.
Please let me know what questions you have!
Justin SeiwellMass Media, Video Production, Speech and Debate, Mock Trial; Clayton High School
Chairman; Eastern Missouri District, National Speech and Debate Association
Member, Board of Governors; Speech & Theatre Association of Missouri
Office: 314-854-6776 PLEASE NOTE MY NEW PHONE NUMBER