Can't believe I'm already sending this, BUT... Consider this the official "Call for Legislation" for bills and resolutions to be debated at the 2015 Eastern Missouri NSDA Congressional Debate District Tournament. For new coaches - the District Tournament is the "National Qualifier" and is open to any student who is a registered member of the NSDA.
All Eastern Missouri NSDA schools are entitled to submit up to TWO pieces of legislation (preferably one bill and one resolution) for debate at the tournament. As usual, all legislation will be placed into a single packet -- each chamber will be permitted to set its own docket.
Requirements for Submission:
- Bills or Resolutions must be properly formatted in accordance with NSDA Formatting Guidelines. I've attached their Legislation Guideline packet as well as their MSWord templates for a Bill and their template for a Resolution.
- Please submit as TWO DIFFERENT MSWORD ATTACHMENTS TO EMAIL.
- Please submit by Friday, January 16th, 2015 (end of day). You can submit to me -email@example.com
Yes, I know this is earlier than in years past. The theory behind this date is to give schools time to adequately research the legislation; we hope to get the packet out the week of January 19th to provide schools an entire MONTH to prepare rather than ~2 weeks. No, don't worry, there's no need to have your Congress entry all figured out before you submit legislation. Personally, since I always use fills at NSDA Congress, I'm looking forward to being able to hand students the packet right away! Plus, there are a lot of tournaments right in a row come January and February -- we thought more time would be helpful.
Other Details for those of you asking:
- Congressional Debate Districts will be held Saturday, February 21st. At the 2014 Coaches Confluence, the feedback was nearly unanimous to move the tournament to St. Louis (we had been in Jeff City in recent years).
- We can confirm that the competition will be held at Webster University. Scott Jensen (Webster's Coach and STAM Board Member) is eager to host us. We'll lock down the logistics in January.
- The schedule of the day will be adjusted slightly -- since we're no longer at the mercy of the Capitol Building's hours, we are examining the schedule to allow for maximum debate while simultaneously not rushing through lunch. That'll be coming soon.
- Robyn Haug (Brentwood) will be our Congressional Debate Director for the NSDA District Tournament.
- Registration will be handled through Joy of Tournaments and will open in early January.
- The rest of the NSDA events (IX, USX, OO, HI, DI, Duo, CX, LD, and PUF) will be held at the "Speech and Debate" Tournament March 5th - 7th. Details to come.
Obviously more information is to come, but we wanted to at least let this information out before break so that schools can be working on it and not feel as rushed come January.
Let me know if you have any questions!
FYI - I've begun putting information up on http://eastmonfl.weebly.com -- I'll put more and more up as we go along.