I hope everyone has had a restful summer! Please feel free to forward this email to anyone you think I may have missed; there are still changes in the works at a few schools in our District, so it'll take time for us to get an updated email list established. In order to reach as many coaches as possible, I combined every list I had and that Ed had... so apologies for multiple copies AND if you want 'off' the list, just let me know. It'll take a few more weeks for me to get our contact directory organized and up to date.
This email may look lengthy, so I'm dividing this email into three segments: Need to Know, Celebrations and Welcomes, and News from NFL.
Need to Know:
The fall Coaches' meeting is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, August 27th at Brentwood High School. Time and specific location are TBA. We'll look at some big changes for GSL and some stuff for NFL and make sure there's time for us to all meet each other; there are plenty of new faces in our mix and plenty of familiar faces in new schools and new roles.
To make things a little easier (and keep an up-to-date mailing list), I've created ONE information form for GSL and East-MO NFL. If you want to get a jump start on it now, please fill out this form. (Head coaches: Please ensure that ALL of your assistants fill this out as well). I'll compile the information and send it out after the meeting ends.
I'm hoping to find a way to allow coaches from outside the metro St. Louis area to video conference rather than drive all the way into St. Louis for what amounts to a two hour meeting. If this applies to you, please email me. I did some experimenting with Skype and Google Hangouts and think that we might be able to get a decent system going.
Schools outside the St. Louis area may be interested to learn that GSL has moved to an all-Saturday format and therefore might be an avenue for competition. Details can be found at www.thegsl.org (the specifics of how things work are still being hammered out).
Celebrations and Welcomes
First, please welcome Shawn Briscoe. Shawn is a seasoned NFL coach that comes to us from Anchorage, Alaska. Shawn has taken over as the Program Director for St. Louis UDL.
Second, please congratulate James Frazier (Pattonville) who became a father back in June. :)
Third, congratulations to Cara Borgsmiller (nee Hurst, Parkway West) who married Nate Borgsmiller on July 20th!
Anyone else have exciting news to share?
News From NFL
If you've tried to log on to the points application recently, you'll notice that you're locked out. Coaches will regain access on August 15th OR whenever their annual membership dues are paid (whichever is later). If you need help renewing your membership, please let me know.
In case you missed it...
- NFL is changing a number of things about the organization this year. These are highlighted in the "District Chair Luncheon Notes" that I've attached (and also sent them out earlier in the summer).
- Votes are being taken for the September/October PUF Resolution until 4:00 p.m. Thursday, August 14th. Yes, the point system is down, but you can still vote if you use this link exactly: www.NFLonline.org/points_application/pflogin.php.
- Votes are being taken for the season's LD Resolutions and are open until 4:00 p.m. on September 11th. The link for this vote is www.NFLonline.org/points_application/ldlogin.php.
- Students that are members of the NFL (and are members on the NFL website) can also vote after logging in at www.nationalforensicleague.org.
- The NFL has established a Student Leadership Committee program. Each head coach is invited to nominate one student to serve on this committee. Nominations are due Friday, September 13th, 2013. Details can be found at http://goo.gl/cbtJT.
I'm thinking that's enough for now. Looking forward to seeing everyone on August 27th!
Please let me know if you have any questions.
English, Speech and Debate
Clayton High School
Eastern Missouri District, National Forensic League